Hi all,

I think where we always stumble with this conversation is that there are so many variables that figure into the “right” ratio, and they’re going to differ from campus to campus.  This is a VERY complicated question to answer.  I’ve posted about this before, so if you search the archives you might find it, but right off the top of my head:

1.       The number of bodies on the staff will never be the right answer anyway.  It’s not how many tutors.  It’s how many total hours they’re working.  Are they full time or part time?  If part time, how many hours a week?  We need a compound unit of measure, like “tutor-hour” (TH)  Or maybe FTTE (full time tutor equivalent).

2.       Even then, what’s the model?  The correct ratio of tutor-hours will be different if tutors are doing drop-in versus appointment-based tutoring.  Likewise, the correct ratio will be different for one-on-one versus group tutoring.  So maybe an even more complex compound unit of measure is needed, like the “tutor-seat-hour.” (TSH)

3.       Even if we could agree that the correct unit of measure is the tutor-seat-hour, how do we determine how many TSH’s are enough?  So many additional things to consider!

a.       Does your center cover every single course in the college curriculum, or do you just focus on a few?

b.       If you cover the whole curriculum, what types of academic programs do you have?  Different subjects drive different amounts of students to tutoring.  STEM majors, on average, will create more demand for tutoring than majors in the humanities.

c.       What is the gap between the academic rigor of your college’s programs and the preparedness of the students you admit?  This to me is HUGE.  If you’re admitting students who showed up extremely well prepared, even if the academic programs are challenging, they might not need a whole lot of tutoring.  If you’re admitting students who didn’t have the same opportunity to show up well prepared, they’re going to need more support.

4.       Even if you could answer all of the questions above, fundamentally what it comes down to is this:  What would your campus leadership define as enough?  They cannot ask us to tell them what is the right ratio of tutors to students to achieve X if they cannot define the X.  Theoretically, if budgets, space, and qualified tutors existed in unlimited supply, it would be possible to achieve the perfect standard of “any student in any class can see a tutor one-on-one at any moment without delay and work with that tutor for as long as they want.”  None of us will ever have the resources for that, so the real question is, what is your administration’s opinion of how short of that standard you can fall and still be doing “enough”?  Until they can define this for you, you cannot answer the question of how many tutors you need per student.   Presidents, provosts, and deans have a responsibility to let us know what that is if they’re going to ask us what the appropriate ratio is of tutors to students.  To really answer the question about how many TSH’s is enough, you’d need to know how your campus leadership feels about:

a.       What is an acceptable amount of time for a student to wait to see a tutor?  Do we want enough TSH’s on the schedule for every student to get a same-day appointment the day before the midterm for the hardest course on campus?  Are longer wait times acceptable?  How much longer?  Do you have “enough” if every student can get an appointment within a week?

b.       Is one-on-one the standard, or is your campus leadership okay with students having to share the attention of the tutor with other people?  If so, how many others?  What group size do they find acceptable?

c.       Should access to tutors be unlimited?  If not, what limit should be put in place that still ensures students “enough?”

d.        Do you have “enough” if your tutors have to take students in groups of ten?  Six?  Two?  Is it only “enough” if every student can see a tutor one-on-one without delay?  These are questions for our provosts and presidents to answer.

e.       What outcome are they looking for?  Are they looking to move the needle on DFW rates?  If so, by how much?

As learning center professionals, we have a lot of information we can share with campus leadership to help them make these decisions.  For example, we can help them understand that both one-on-one and group tutoring have unique benefits.  We can probably show them schedule and payroll data that show how much idle time a tutor will have if they’re on duty often enough so no student ever has to wait to see a tutor.  We can even share with them our educated opinions about where the sweet spot is between ease of access to tutoring and unjustifiable tutor idle time.  It would be great to see CLADEA facilitate an organized effort along these lines.  But the leadership on each campus will have to plug in their own values to these models before their learning center directors can really answer the question of what ratio of staff to students is enough in the context of that unique campus.

Have a good weekend!

Michele

Michele Costabile Doney, M.S.Ed.

(she/her/hers)

Director, Student Academic Consulting Center & Immersion Programs

Baruch College, CUNY

55 Lexington Avenue, Box B2-116

New York, NY 10010

646-312-4833

NCLCA Learning Center Leadership Certification Level Three

The SACC Website: https://sacc.baruch.cuny.edu/

The Coalition for Undoing Racism at Baruch (CURB): https://blogs.baruch.cuny.edu/curb/

[log in to unmask]" alt="cid:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]" alt="cid:[log in to unmask]">