Hi, Hillary,

A few things come to mind:

   - If the student doesn't engage, then we won't sign off on the visit.
   - One of our faculty created a writing assignment that incorporates
   visiting us as part of the assignment. She shared it with us in advance and
   was available for questions from tutors.
   - Talk with faculty in advance: What are their expectations, including
   time spent and interaction? What are yours, including limitations on time
   and services and what counts as a visit?

Good luck,

Mary

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 3:10 PM Hillary Fleenor <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello!
> We have some faculty that assign visits to our center as extra credit, but
> recently a  few have actually made it an assignment that counts as a grade
> (so it's not optional). The tutors are concerned because some of the
> students don't feel they need any help so seem mostly disengaged during the
> appointment or even hostile. They aren't getting much out of the experience
> and might be taking an appointment from someone who actually needs it. Does
> anyone have  policy or any helpful experience on how to handle when faculty
> make tutoring an actual assignment?
>
> Thanks so much!
>
> --
> Hillary G. Fleenor, 2(M.S.)
> Director, Academic Center for Tutoring
> *Lecturer*
> *, TSYS School of Computer Science *
>
> *Columbus State University*
>
> *[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>*
> *Office: **Simon Schwob Memorial Library 244 , Tel: 706-507-8646*
> *Visit the ACT : **[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>*
>
> *Happiness is so amazing it doesn't matter if it's yours or someone else's* *--After
> Life*
>
> * A river cuts through a rock not because of its power, but its
> persistence. --**Anonymous*
>

> *There is freedom waiting for you,On the breezes of the sky,And you ask,
> "What if I fall?"Oh but my darling,What if you fly?*
> *- Erin Hanson*

[image: Paradise Valley Community College logo]
Mary Early, Ph.D.
Paradise Valley Community College
MARICOPA COMMUNITY COLLEGES
Director | Learning Success Center
18401 N. 32nd Street, Phoenix, AZ 85032
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.paradisevalley.edu_students_learning-2Dsuccess-2Dcenter&d=DwIBaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=UmUAhXW4CQbYP7yIncJfdH9xCqi2uS0AhdU6z-W490c&s=1QL-uGqVQR4W8GUF6R6QXrg9-dbfyDW3o0zJyDbUjRM&e=
O: 602-787-7183