Hi Hillary,

I understand this situation is frustrating; at the same time, it can be a
blessing in disguise, so don't lose heart! Try to look at this situation
through the lens of connection:

1) You have an *opportunity to build an alliance with a faculty member *who
sees value in students visiting the learning center; and
2) You have *students visiting* your center *who might not otherwise* come
into it.

Both are great opportunities for relationship-building, so it is important
not to lose sight of that, even though you and your tutors might be feeling
(understandably) frustrated.

What I would tell my team in this situation is that this is an opportunity
to change the narrative about our learning center for this professor and
group of students from a deficit-model to a growth model perspective. I
would tell the tutors that their mission is to give the students a reason
to come back to the learning center, now that they're here.

One way they can do this is to set long-term goals with their students. For
example, the tutors can ask: *What do they (the students) want to be able
to do as a student that they cannot yet do?* The tutor can then help their
students make an action plan to address these goals--which might require
them to come back to the learning center for more sessions! They should
also set and accomplish the goal of completing the assignment the professor
sent them to the learning center to complete, of course, but, after that,
it's time for the tutors to up their game and help their students focus on
their continued growth as learners.

It's natural to wonder whether students who are reluctant to come to
tutoring because they are required to do so are quote-on-quote "taking
appointments from other students," but the fact is--the students sent by
this professor are there in your center, they are students, and the other
theoretical students are not there. So the ones sent by this faculty member
deserve all of the energy your tutors can give them. And maybe they will
decide to come back or at least have a positive experience that they tell
other students about. And maybe you will have a new faculty ally in your
circle. It could be a win-win.

Rebecca Tedesco
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.rtedesco.com&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=kHcuGOrScPdx6Xn7WgpIHIQfNj80OxIO5ZqwGLNKr3M&s=CXqPHlp_9T_8ICAQXCZdy1OrYPMWUKPQIfL4ZWmLcEc&e=
Southwestern College (San Diego, CA)
CRLA Level 3 Master Tutor
Certified Learning Center Professional - Level 3
She/Her