My former center got quite a few requests for tutors from the community.  We’d just post the information on a bulletin board and let the tutors decide if they wanted a side hustle.  They would set their own rates and make all the arrangements themselves.

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Kelsey Baker
Sent: Thursday, March 4, 2021 8:26 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Tutoring for Community Members

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of NSU. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. DO NOT provide your username and password.

Hi, everyone!

Every semester, we get a couple of requests from outside community members asking to connect our tutors with middle/high school students or even students from the local community college who need assistance in a certain content area. We don’t have anything official in place to respond to these requests – we’ve collaborated with the academic departments and with our Service Learning Center for volunteer hours, or we’ve directed the person toward how they could get approval to advertise their need on campus, etc. We also have Tutor Matching Service, but it’s currently set up to just serve our students.

As much as I want to continue prioritizing services to our own students, I definitely understand there’s value in having this connection to the local community. Does your Center offer any tutoring to non-students/community members? If so, how is that structured?

Thanks!

[log in to unmask]" alt="Shield-Icon-Full-Color-Digital-150px-Illustrator-01-01">

Kelsey Baker
Director of Student Success & Retention
Lee University

1120 N Ocoee St, Cleveland TN