Hello Roberta,
As with Karen's institution, our writing assistants take a course (3 credits) the runs the whole. They also pair up with a veteran mentor and start offering writing assistance 3 weeks into the semester. We have yet to apply for CRLA certification for our peer educators in the Writing Center. I'm not sure that I will as I may look around for other, writing specific certification possibilities.
Our content tutor training does lead to Level 1 ITTPC certification, but it's done as a stand-alone training and tutors are paid for their training time. We run our PAL facilitator training in a similar more, but it doesn't lead to ITTPC certification.
Cheers,
Jeffrey

Jeffrey White, M.A., M.S.

[he, him, his] (Why is this important?)

Learning Commons Administrator, Shepard Academic Resource Center

Instructor of German, International Languages and Cultures

Past President, Northwest College Reading and Learning Association

Buckley Center 163, MSC 184

University of Portland

5000 N. Willamette Blvd.

Portland, Oregon 97203