Hi Kelly,

In a higher education environment I have not scheduled students with a particular tutor in an ongoing basis. I’m familiar with the model.  However, I wonder about its potential drawbacks insofar as occupying time with a tutor for days when the student has nothing to cover, for example.  It seems like this approach would create a situation leading to more no shows.  On the other hand, I do see the advantages to establishing a relationship with a tutor.

Presently I run a private tutoring company.  We need to spend a fair amount of time reminding students to cancel at least 24 hours in advance their weekly session(s) if they have nothing to cover that week, and this is a scenario in which they are paying for that time.

In years past, I scheduled substantially fewer tutors over the summer, but I looked at when the classes they were supporting were running and tried to schedule in the hours leading up to or immediately afterwards for most hours presuming that students would be on campus.  I suspect I would be modifying that approach to more traditional summer tutoring hours with a distance learning scenario in place, though.  How much tutoring we scheduled came from a number of factors including if there was a sense of how much support we were likely to see from the faculty teaching the courses.

Sincerely,

Debbie Malewicki, President

USA Tutors, LLC

(203) 800-4100