Hi, Mark!

Spanish-speaking tutors in the Writing Center at Southwestern College who
are comfortable doing so may work with students in Spanish. (I have been
studying Spanish for the past few years in order to be able to do this.)

(Some context for non-San Diegans: Southwestern is a community college
located about 10 miles from the U.S.-Mexico border in San Diego, CA.
Students from both sides of the border make up the approximately 30,000
students we serve annually. We are an HSI.)

I, or one of my colleagues, I’m sure, would be happy to talk more with you
about how we work with students in Spanish in the Writing Center.

In the meantime, here is a recent article from the Journal of College
Reading & Learning about students’ and tutors’ perceptions of the effects
of working in Spanish at a college writing center on the U.S.-Mexico border
in Texas:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.tandfonline.com_doi_abs_10.1080_10790195.2019.1590166-3FjournalCode-3Ducrl20&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=_shA6WETCenjM2JKdvzmtPcUAF5AuU_9p3mCpeC_gTU&s=HrnfZaFBIt8pdnu4DcW2cH-79Di2Al80ZkFKYuehM8U&e=

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 9:04 AM Mark Manasse <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Good morning!
>

> Anyone have suggestions/examples on the following two topics:
>

> *Tutoring in Languages Other Than English*
>

>    - I'm looking for programs that tutor across the curriculum in
>    languages other than English. For example, tutoring Algebra in Spanish or
>    Writing for an English class using Vietnamese during the session, etc, etc.
>    Would love information on training, program development, and outcomes.
>    People to contact who have experience directing such programs?
>

> *Additional Time on Projects/Exams for Language Learners in non-ESL
> Classes*
>
>    - At an institutional or departmental level, examples of
>    processes/procedures to provide English language learners additional
>    time/support on course-level projects/exams in non-ESL classes upon
>    request.  Would love information on how you got institutional (or
>    departmental) wide support, what are the rules/regulations you enacted, how
>    was the learning center/tutoring involved (if at all), what outcomes did
>    you find? People to contact who have experience directing such programs?
>

> Thank you!
>
> Mark Manasse, Ph.D.
> Program Coordinator
> Mesa Tutoring and Computing Centers
> San Diego Mesa College

Rebecca Tedesco
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.rtedesco.com&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=_shA6WETCenjM2JKdvzmtPcUAF5AuU_9p3mCpeC_gTU&s=LJU76eTmbAxwXeFz6-hY9eojvhEjiHGO0CxNr3TkZpk&e=
Southwestern College (San Diego, CA)
CRLA Level 3 Master Tutor
Certified Learning Center Professional - Level 3
She/Her