Hi, Mark!

Spanish-speaking tutors in the Writing Center at Southwestern College who are comfortable doing so may work with students in Spanish. (I have been studying Spanish for the past few years in order to be able to do this.)

(Some context for non-San Diegans: Southwestern is a community college located about 10 miles from the U.S.-Mexico border in San Diego, CA. Students from both sides of the border make up the approximately 30,000 students we serve annually. We are an HSI.)

I, or one of my colleagues, I’m sure, would be happy to talk more with you about how we work with students in Spanish in the Writing Center.

In the meantime, here is a recent article from the Journal of College Reading & Learning about students’ and tutors’ perceptions of the effects of working in Spanish at a college writing center on the U.S.-Mexico border in Texas:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10790195.2019.1590166?journalCode=ucrl20