From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Sharisse Turner <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2021 11:04 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: JOHN CHAMPAGNE AWARD

From: Sharisse Turner
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2021 11:11 AM
To: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]>

Hi there!

Well, I guess I am considered part of the “old guard” 😊  A program from my college in Florida also received this award in 2019 during the Atlanta NADE conference.  It was the last year that the award was given, and it was the year that NADE changed its name from the National Association for Developmental Education (NADE) to the National Organization for Student Success (NOSS).  I have been told that the John Champaign award was eliminated as a result of cost-cutting measures due to a drop in revenue because of declining membership and conference attendance precipitated by national developmental education reforms.  This award has since been replaced this year with the Program of Promise (or something to that effect) award.

On the old document that once listed all of the awards, the John Champaign Memorial Award for Outstanding Developmental Education Program simply recognized “excellence in a developmental education program or one of its components.”  Award winners were given a plaque and a $500 honorarium (which my program put to very good use).

Best,

Sharisse

Sharisse Turner, Dean

Transitional Studies Division

Tallahassee Community College

444 Appleyard Drive

Tallahassee, FL  32304

(850) 201-8582

Access without support is not opportunity

NADE Motto:  “Helping underprepared students prepare, prepared students advance, and advanced students excel”

FDEA Motto:   “Engage, Encourage, Empower”

Transitional Studies Motto:  “A Bridge to Completion”

TCC Aspen Prize[log in to unmask]">