From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Keegan Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, November 1, 2021 12:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Diversity Recruiting Practices for Tutoring Centers

You don't often get email from [log in to unmask] Learn why this is important

CAUTION: This email originated from a non-McDaniel address. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Hi everyone,

I am developing a strategic plan with the goal of increasing the diversity of the staff recruited and hired by my institution's tutoring center. Certain ethnicities and ages are significantly underrepresented among the current tutoring staff, and we fear this might result in the tutoring center underserving specific populations of students (such as older students) due to lack of sufficient representation among the tutoring staff. This staffing discrepancy currently exists because the tutoring center primarily receives applications from niche, non-representative groups of students. I suspect this is, at least in part, because the tutoring center has been passively receiving applicants rather than taking a proactive recruiting approach.

Specifically, I am seeking your suggestions on best practices to support proactive diversity recruiting efforts. We are finding that it is not enough to simply welcome applications from anyone, and that instead some kind of mentorship and active outreach is probably necessary to help more students realize that they can succeed as tutors. Anecdotally, a recent hire notified our staff that she hadn't originally considered applying because none of the other tutors looked like her. Similarly, we encounter many tutees who would make excellent tutors, but who are hesitant to apply because they feel like they're not "smart enough" to be tutors (even with regular encouragement from the tutors they receive support from).

If you have any success stories, best practices, and recommendations related to proactive diversity recruiting efforts, please let me know. I also welcome any general information or anecdotes related to diversity and tutoring centers. My hope is that, by cultivating a more representative team of tutors, more students will feel that tutoring is a safe and inviting space for them to receive academic support.

Sincerely,
Keegan Phillips
--
[She / Her / Hers]
Research Analyst

--------

--

Public Records Notice: In accordance with Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS) Chapter 239, this email and responses, unless otherwise made confidential by law, may be subject to the Nevada Public Records laws and may be disclosed to the public upon request.