Hi Erin

Since this is a disability related request ensuring equal access is key -
which means real time access.  You are on the right track although the
technology and real life applications can present some challenges.

Questions to ask/consider:

   - What is the instructor's style?  Do they mostly stay in one place?  Do
   they wander around a lot?
   - Is this a straight lecture kind of course?  Highly interactive?
   Always a large group?  Any small group activities?

Setting up a live stream is an excellent start.  I don't have the
experience with Microsoft teams to speak to that specifically.  If the
class is largely lecture based with minimal interaction one additional
piece is to provide the instructor with a wireless microphone.  That way
the student has access to the audio even if the instructor moves out of the
frame on the video.  These do have a limited range and can pick up some
student questions and comments.  it is always helpful if the instructor
repeats or at least clearly incorporates those questions into their

Another approach would be to have the entire class shift online for the
temporary timeframe.  Certainly not ideal and the amount of push back would
likely depend on how long this is expected to go on for.  Are you talking
about 1 or 2 class meetings?  The remainder of term?  After all of the
online experience students and faculty have had more recently these
suggestions aren't as complicated as they used to be.

If the student can be provided with a note taker or a copy of the
instructor's slides that can be helpful to - it is not a substitute for
access to the actual course but can be a helpful supplement especially if
there are technological issues along the way.

Laura

On Tue, Nov 2, 2021 at 9:21 AM Michelle Dawn Jarvis <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi Erin!
>
> We use Teams for individual tutoring meetings and some group training
> sessions. It works well if there is one presenter who is going to be
> directly in front of the computer at all times. In a class setting, it is
> less effective. If the instructor moves away from the camera, the
> participant can't see what it going on, and, depending on your mic set up,
> other students in the class won't be audible. Real-time participation for
> the student at home also won't be effective unless all the students are
> participating via Teams because the at-home student will be able to
> communicate only with the person in front of the computer.
>
> I would suggest an audio recording of the class might be as effective
> unless you want to invest in something that is designed for simultaneous
> in-person and online events.
>
> *Michelle Jarvis*
>
> Writing Coordinator, Center for Academic Engagement
>
> Guilford Technical Community College
>
> Learning Resource Center, Office 328
>
> 601 E. Main Street, Jamestown, NC 27282
>
> E-mail: [log in to unmask]
>
> Direct: 336-334-4822  ext. 50627
>

> On-campus Tutoring Schedule
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__online.gtcc.edu_course_view.php-3Fid-3D43412&d=DwMFAg&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=kKubBeaKfQfhumtn54EcGAGpi4_syveqaVCJY4sF8rVzzD9sAj_T0Sl4DCm4Gjdn&s=A3JaZiO0m5xaYzepG7IWVMrH3SmFlHeLXeb2FMXiWIg&e=>
>
> Schedule or cancel an appointment using Navigate
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__gtcc.navigate.eab.com_app_-23_authentication_remote_&d=DwMFAg&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=kKubBeaKfQfhumtn54EcGAGpi4_syveqaVCJY4sF8rVzzD9sAj_T0Sl4DCm4Gjdn&s=ZGlfDWMhCo_lgJHlXSk7w80gtlJ2UIlqkK5rrO9wTWc&e=>

Laura A. Cummings

Assistant Director, Academic Resource Center

Olin 317

509-527-5027

Whitman College

Need an appointment?

Laura's YouCanBookMe <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lauracummings.youcanbook.me_&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=tkAACBgX69zH9b8QGasKbhgWu8w0Arh-QhL0xf_Y95k&m=nqSIjuGg3E7pso7J1KC8KuqZpGXkPXOJH9oIanlh8db-PPUUd5YYJ8IVkXs9fxO8&s=lj-OTw9GV_wu49utGDoKXX1hxkvP545IFoaOiy7l4bM&e= >

Follow us on Facebook and/or Instagram!  @arcatwhitman

*** Please note that there are now two Laura Cummings on campus. ***