Greeting, colleagues -

We are considering implementing a cap on tutoring sessions per week for our students There is currently no limit to how often a students can meet with our institutionally-hired tutors, though we have a semester cap our time they can spend with our third-party contracted tutors as a cost saving measure. The impetus for this is to better foster independent learning in our students, as we have seen many students booking back-to-back appointments repeatedly through the week, leaving themselves no time to independently apply the suggestions and skills worked on in tutoring sessions. We see this creating dependency, which is antithetical to our mission.

I would appreciate knowing what caps other learning centers may have in place and the rationales behind them. I am also particularly keen to learn how/if such caps interplay with ADA accommodations that allow for additional time with tutors, etc.

Thank you.