Thank you for that query. I am having similar problems, and we are an HBCU; however, we only hire professional writing tutors with masters degree in writing related programs. Supervisor's preference is no graduate or peer tutors.

I am interested in doing more to recruit tutors who represent the population we work with on a daily basis; however, they are simply not applying for the positions. I have posted full time and part time, and we pay $25 hourly.

Theresa Street

Director, NSU Writing Center

Lyman Beecher Brooks Library, First Floor

Writing Center-West, MAD 109

P: (757) 278-2587 (Ext. 11943)   [log in to unmask]

P: (757) 823-2271  [log in to unmask]

Office of Academic Engagement

Norfolk State University

700 Park Avenue   Norfolk, Virginia 23504