Susan:

->We are interested in helping students form study groups and work with a
->facilitator in the Learning Assistance center.
->Do any of you presently have study groups working inyour centers?
->If so, how were they formed?
->        a.      by students themselves

I go into the freshman orientation courses and advertise there.  I
tell students it's okay to hang around our Learning Center and study.
To ease that feeling that only dummies hang out in the Center, I tell
them that 50 percent of the honors students use the Learning Center
at some time during the semester (message?  Even good students can
get help and ease their study burdens.)

->        b.      instructors' requests

I work closely with faculty and the advanced calculus instructors,
especially, ask if we would "help the students help themselves."  I
assign a tutor who has just been through the course to help out.
Works really well.

->        c.      as a result of class assignments

Nope.

->        d.      other

We have created small group tutoring and then, occasionally, removed
the tutor at a point where we feel the students can be independent.
We're around for some guidance the occasional quick question.

->
->Do you do any evaluation or follow-up with students regarding grade
->improvement?

Unfortunately no.  However, the popularity of some of our study
groups speaks for itself, yes?

Hope that helps.

--Charlie

Charles Castelli