FROM: MICHAEL PEREZ   OFFICE TAPC-PDE   PHONE 703-325-3581
     Chief, Programs Br, Educ Div, TAGD, PERSCOM
SUBJECT: who are we?
my name is mike perez...i am the chief, programs branch for the
education division at u.s. army headquarters in alexandria,
virginia...for the past 22 years, i have worked in different
capacities (teacher, learning center manager, test examiner,
counselor, administrator, and staff officer) at several
locations:  gissen, germany; fort sam houston in san antonio,
texas; stuttgart, germany; goeppingen, germany; heidelberg,
germany; fort huachuca, sierra vista, arizona; and alexandria,
virginia....all for an organization known as the army
continuing education system (aces)..
the aces operates 140 army education centers (aec) world
wide..mostly in the u.s. but with aec in germany, holland,
england, belgium, italy, korea, japan, saudi arabia, kuwait,
honduras, and panama..basically wherever there are active
duty soldiers...
in conjunction with these aec, we also operate and manage
over 400 army learning centers (alc) which provide both
academic programs and training support..
to avoid and misunderstandings, the aces is not the provider
of actual army training, those institutions that train active
duty soldiers to perform a military job...rather, the aces
concerns itself with providing the full range of adult
voluntary educational programs that would have been available
so soldiers if they had not chosen to serve our country
in uniform....
programs managed, funded, and operated by the aces include:
1.  college programs:  during any one year, over 50% of the
active duty soldiers enroll in college courses;  army provides
75% tuition assistance for such courses; last year, army
expended approximately $43M for this purpose...
2.  functional academic skills training:  this is army's on-
duty, workplace literacy program, focusing on reading,
mathematics, and English grammar skills of soldiers...provided
at no cost to soldiers..
3.  testing:  the aces provides the full range of standardized
exams at no cost to active duty soldiers...these include:  ged,
clep, act, sat, act/pep, gre, gmat, lsat, etc.
4.  counseling:  we employ fully qualified educational
and vocational counselors, most with graduate degrees
in counseling to assist soldiers to set and achieve
short- and long-term educational and vocational goals.
5.  foreign language instruction
6.  army learning centers: language laboratories,
computer laboratories, technical libraries, satellite
up- and down-links, microwave reception, video and
audio tapes, etc.
in my current job, i manage evaluation of all aces
programs, assess the need for new programs, when
required develop new programs, provide quality
assurance for programs and services, and act as
proponent for the education management information
system, the army's mis to manage soldier education
records..
i have special interests in the areas of literacy
and technology..
in my spare time, i am director of the commission
on military education and training, a commission of the
american association for adult and continuing education..
..mike perez

* Work Together - Win Together *