On Friday, January 27, 1995 from 12 noon - 2 pm Central Time, there will be a
teleconference sponsored by the National Council of Teachers of English and the
International Reading Association informing viewers about the nature of the
NCTE's standards projects about the new drafts of the Standards for English
Language Arts.  Although the standards targets K-12 education, the impact of
the standards on developmental education for students in college settings will
be felt.  I feel that it is important for us to respond to the standards; if
you have the opportunity to watch/participate in the teleconference, I encourageyou to do so.  To create a dialogue about these standards, there will be a
copy of the video at the CRLA conference in our "Reading Resource Room" (a
new concept for our conference);  Martha Maxwell will be hosting a roundtable
discussion at the conference on Saturday afternoon (April 8) beginning at
2:45 pm.  As a group we hope to draft a response to NCTE about the standards.
I invite you to attend.  I also invite your comments through our LRNASST.
                                                Pat Mulcahy-Ernt
                                                CRLA President-Elect