Lurkers of the NET, unite! We have nothing to lose but our anonymity! Now
that everyone who counts is enjoying the balmy Tempe weather while
attending CRLA, the rest of us can experiment with postings.

Here in occasionally-sunny Iowa, a committee at Des Moines Area Community
College is developing a seminar or possibly a one-credit course for
students on academic probation (hence the acronym SOAP; the committee's
motto is "Clean up your act!")

One of the members has asked me to find out about any similar programs in
other institutions. Are such courses offered for credit? If not, is seminar
attendance compulsory? How is it enforced? What about content and format of
the program?

Our school is using Becoming a Master Student for our Orientation to
College course, which the SOAP group doesn't want to duplicate. I believe
they're looking at a text by Joyce Weinsheimer directed specifically toward
students on probation.

Anyone willing to share can reach me by phone at (515)965-7000.

Snail-mail address:

Sue Wickham
Academic Achievement Center
Des Moines Area Community College
2006 South Ankeny Boulevard
Ankeny, IA  50021

e-mail: [log in to unmask]

There, that wasn't so bad. Maybe I'll try this again.