Date sent:  7-APR-1995 14:12:33
>From:  IN%"[log in to unmask]"  "Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals"  6-APR-1995 15:37:14.46
>To:    IN%"[log in to unmask]"  "Multiple recipients of list LRNASST"
>CC:
>Subj:  9 or 10 month contracts

>Date: Thu, 06 Apr 1995 09:31:04 -0400
>From: Georgine Materniak <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: 9 or 10 month contracts
>Sender: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
>To: Multiple recipients of list LRNASST <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I suspect that many of you are not out there but are at CRLA.  Whenever
>you do get this message, I'd like to hear from some of you.  At the
>University of Pittsburgh Learning Skills Center, we are staff in student
>affairs under a full-time 12 month appointment.  Due to budget
>constraints, we are being asked to consider either 9 or 10 month
>appointments instead of 12 month.  My personal feeling is that, as the
>Director, I would rather keep a full staff working fewer months, than to
>have to cut positions and maintain 12 month appointments.  I know of one
>other learning center that experienced this in recent years and I'll be
>talking with Susan Clark Thayer at Suffolk University to find out how it
>has worked for her and her staff.  If any other of your programs have
>been through this type of transition, or if any of you standardly have 9
>or 10 month contracts, I'd like to hear the advantages and disadvantages
>of such an arrangement.
>
>Sincerely,
>

>Georgine Materniak
>University of Pittsburgh
>Learning Skills Center
>311 William Pitt Union
>Pittsburgh, PA   15260
>(412) 648-7920
>
>e-mail [log in to unmask]
We have academic year contracts here at University of Wisconsin Oshkosh.
Our summer school for undergraduates is not generously funded so we have
few students on campus that need us.  Under the shorter contracts we have
more money for staff during the regular academic year.  The down side is
that I run in frequently in the summer for meetings, to take care of
administrative details and to see a few noncredit students. But that is
simpler in a small town than in the congested area around Pitt.

Marilyn Taylor    Reading Study Center UW Oshkosh,Oshkosh WI 414 424-1031
Bitnet Address            [log in to unmask]
Internet Address          [log in to unmask]