Hi Jan,

I am the author of the LASSI so I cannot claim an unbiased viewpoint.
LASSI is used in one way or another in about 50% of colleges and
universities in the U.S.  It is used extensively as part of orientation,
advisement and/or retention programs.  LASSI is meant to be used as a
screening tool to help identify students who may not have the skills,
learning strategies, motivation, or self-regulation needed to succeed in
college.  There are 10 scales on the LASSI:   Attitude, Motivation, Time
Management, Anxiety, Concentration, Information Processing, Selecting  Main
Ideas, Study Aids, Self-Testing, and Test Strategies.  Each of these areas
is causatively related to success in post-secondary educational settings
and, perhaps most important from a retention standpoint, students'
proficiency in each of these areas can be improved through educational
interventions.  This is what makes LASSI a diagnostic screening device.  An
item such as, "My mother read to me when I was young...," may be an
excellent predictor of future performance (and it is) but it is not very
helpful in determining what to do now to help an individual to develop the
cognitive skills and strategies, the motivation, the study skills, and the
self-regulation needed to succeed.

Let me know if you want any other information or data from our use of the
LASSI as a pre/post measure in our learning-to-learn course.

Claire Ellen

P.S.  If you or anyone else would like to see a copy of the LASSI, just let
me know - send a mailing address and I will get one sent to you.

Claire Ellen Weinstein, Professor
Department of Educational Psychology, SZB 504
University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX 78712-1296

VOICE:     (512) 471-1375
FAX:       (512) 471-1288