Claire:

     My last post may not have been very clear about what I think of or how
I use the LASSI.  We have had it as a required part of our College 101
class for many years.  We love it as a way to get students thinking about
they ways that the course can improve their skills, and it allows us an
easy introduction to many other services on campus, such as counseling,
tutoring, etc.  The students generally complete the LASSI as a homework
assignment within the first two weeks of our ten-week, 2-credit class.
After scoring, each teacher compiles the information for his/her class
in order to show the students how they compare with their classmates.
Most of us also use the LASSI results to alter or emphasize different parts
of the curriculum, according to the students' needs.

     What's newer to me, though, is the use of the LASSI as a tool for
retention and advisement.  I'm please to be hearing research from schools
that are administering it to their entire entering freshman class--that's
something I'm starting to push for here, but we have only a one-day
orientation/registration for incoming freshmen, and in that time they do
English writing placement, a math faculty interview and transcript review of
their backgrounds--in short, lots of other departments with specific
needs, and the Admissions Office with its specific agenda, are reluctant
to turn loose of any time during that day in which to administer the
LASSI.  And as my post noted, the CASSIP promo literature and the
Noel-Levitz materials are also out there to be considered, assuming that
we do manage to get some assessment time into that orientation day.

     My hat is tipped to you as LASSI author, because I like it a lot and
have found it consistently useful.  I would like to see us administer it
to all our incoming freshmen, and if that becomes possible, I will be sure
to let you know about how we are using your test.

                                        Jan