>Linda Pappas
>Academic Success Counselor
>Creighton University
>Omaha, NE
>
>Dear Linda,
I just returned from CRLA Sunday where I picked up some examination copies
of ACT's Study Power.  What I received were five student workbooks, each a
study skills unit:  Managing Time and Environment, Reading Textbooks, Taking
Class Notes, Using Information Resources and Preparing a Written Report, and
Preparing for and Taking Tests.  I have not read them, but my initial
impression is negative.  Although they are intended for college students,
they have the print size of children's books, about fourth or fifth grade.
If I were a college student required to have these books, I would keep them
hidden from view at all times.  If I were especially sensitive, I might feel
humiliated receiving them.  The content is not elementary level and neither
is the vocabulary.  When I asked the ACT representative about the type face,
she said it was in response to those who complained of excessively small
print with a minimum of white space.  I think ACT went overboard.  However,
I might still use these workbooks (they're identified as such on the cover)
if I had grievously underprepared college students.  They might feel less
intimidated in approaching this material than they might feel toward regular
textbook material.  The packet I received also contained a study skills
inventory which is also worth investigating.  I assume you can get these
materials by writing:
Patricia Vunderink, Ed.D.
Educational Services Division
ACT
P.O. Box 168
Iowa City, IA 52243

That's the address on the cover sheet in the packet I received.

Linda L. Johnson
Kirkwood Community College
Iowa City Campus