The text for students on academic probation which I mentioned is called
Turning Point, by Joyce Weinsheimer (Wadsworth, 1993, ISBN 0-534-19422-2).
Although I've never used it, the book does look promising. Rather than
rehashing a study skills course, it appears to focus on the
affective/behavioral issues that hamper student success. Weinsheimer
incorporates many sample scenarios and quotations featuring what sound like
real, live students. Throughout the text, she encourages the SOAPers to
analyze what went wrong in their own situation and to make the transition
to more productive behaviors. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's
actually used the text.

Thanks, Bob Mittan, for your suggestions and for the wonderful acronyms.
ULAC is a true gem! By the way, my department really is called Academic and
Student Services (sigh).

Sue Wickham
Des Moines Area Community College