During my presentation at CRLA I mentioned that our developmental education
department has its goals posted in our Learning Center for all to see.  Once,
when the Chancellor of the Ohio Board of Regents was touring our facility, she
remarked that she would like to have a copy of our goals, as posted.  She was
impressed that we displayed them, and she remarked that it was obvious that ours
was a quality department.  We were flattered.

One of the attendees at my presentation requested that I post these goals here
on LRNASST.  Thus, I am doing that now.

Every so often I stop and reread our goals.  They keep me focused and motivated,
and they let everybody know who we are, what we do, and why we do it.

Gene Beckett
NADE President

------------------
Welcome To The Learning Center
At Shawnee State University
Our Goals Are As Follows:

To provide quality programs and services to move students into the mainstream of
college life enabling students to acquire competencies that match the entrance
expectancies of faculty who teach college level career and transfer courses;

To assess the affective and cognitive variables necessary at each level of the
learning continuum, and to teach underprepared students effective cognitive and
processing skills necessary to become more successful learners;

To provide total support programs that include advising and counseling in
ongoing intervention;

To provide comprehensive and integrated programs designed to ensure individual
academic success;

To maintain academic standards by enhancing students' skills so that they meet
higher academic standards than they would otherwise;

To improve retention;

To provide training in basic skills to help individuals cope with the knowledge
explosion inherent in a computerized high-tech era;

To provide support and alternative services in not only areas of basic skills
instruction, but also academic assistance to students enrolled in credit
courses, faculty support and/or training, and related support services.