From: Gene Kerstiens

     The Computer Room at the CRLA/Tempe conference, where six computers
were dedicated to those wishing to send Internet messages, was not exactly
overrun with participants.  We estimate that as few as 20% of those regi-
stered came by to  visit.  But the most frequent topic of conversation
centered around some LRNASSTers' lack of a sense of "audience" when they
choose to send a note.  These communicators, to quote one in the discussion
groups, have failed to "keep their commercial and social interests within
the bounds of modesty that networking requires -- indeed, insists upon."
These writers, and they are a distinct minority, even mingle their com-
mercial billboarding with personal messages that have no place on a pro-
fessional networking system that was designed to efficiently serve those
who would improve their skills, learn new strategies, or share their suc-
cessful as well as unavailing experiences that could be useful to others.
We need to keep the LRNASST as Public Television used to be -- without com-
mercials and with a concern for the needs and interests of the audience at
large.  Gene Kerstiens  [log in to unmask]