Gene et al.,

I appreciated your candid comments regarding  the etiquette you would like
to see observed on the LRNASST network.

One of the most refreshing/regenerating aspects of a listserve
communication group is the relatively untramelled ease with which
participants are able to flow from one topic of interest to another,
thereby encouraging participation by a significant number of subscibers.
I would assume that, except for several topics of which we share an
aggregate interest (i.e. suggestions of techniques for the promotion of
students from a condition of dependent learning to successful,
independent learning; why is there time?; what is the most effective
facet of your tutor training program?) that there are as many
topics of interest to our members -- as there are members.

Personally, I welcome the inclusion of advice, questions, and provocative
 statements of experts in our field who have (admirably) added their bit
 of insight and expertise of our body of knowledge by writing a book
or article, creating a measurement instrument, or otherwise sharing their
opinions and
findings in a commercial manner.  I see little distinction between an
author explaining the nuances of a learning assistance related book, and
an officer of NADE promoting a past, present, or future conference.  Both
situations are not only acceptable to me, they are heartily encouraged.

Although our host has certain censorial powers, by virtue of the
legitimate authority of that position, he has shown restraint in
exercising them.  (Guillermo says: ..."Pay no attention to that man behind
the curtain!") This is as it should be if we are to continue to have an
unfettered dialogue.  I applaud those who have taken the next logical
step to their research and have published their work, organized a
conference, or created some sort of original work to enhance our
understanding or some aspect of the learning assistance and/or developmental
education disciplines.  I encourage their participation and look forward
to their comments, especially if it is related to their own work.
Certainly the determination of what constitutes exploitation of our
LRNASST network is relative to each member's orientation and propensity
toward hitting the "delete" key on a frequent basis.

Cast my vote for self-regulation, each member's acceptance of responsibility
for propriety and professionalism, and an open forum where it is okay for
members to post their new products and literature, as well as opinions
and feelings.

Respectfully --

Pat Schutz