Nico,
Thanks for the kind words regarding the conference.  I am glad it is finished,
but it was fun.  I am still working on the final counts and the many other
details of closure, but I am sure we broke the 500 mark and maybe closer to 530
participants.

I team-teach our 1 credit Tutor Training course each semester.  My teammate and
I developed it over the last ten years and yet we spend time every semester
revising and updating it.  One component of the training session is evaluation
of the training, topics and LAC services by new and returning tutors.  We are
certified at all three levels by CRLA's ITCP (Intern'l Tutor Cert. Prog.) and
we tout ITCP to anyone inquiring about our program.  Below is a brief overview
of our tutor training.

Onita,
You asked about how many tutors  need to complete the 25 hours of training
before a program can be certified.  There is no requirement of anyone having to
complete the training prior to certification that I am aware of.  You can ask
for certification of what you plan to provide.  Programs are initially
certified for one year only.  The  program can then evaluate the original plan
and update or revise it if needed.  Having a certified program can greatly
enhance the credibility of your program and tutors within it.  Please realize
that there is a fantastically rich variety of topics, format,
modalities, etc. for ITCP certified programs.  There is no one way for all.
Below are the topics and format we use at PVCC for our certified tutor training
program.

Thanks for asking!
Rick  ([log in to unmask]  or (602) 493-2772)

PVCC's Level I - required,  can be taken for credit (1 cr. hr.) or pay
        18.75 hours of training & minimum of 25 hours of experience
        After each session, tutor's are required to respond "thoughtfully"
           to questions about the session in a learning log which is
           available on an electronic tutor forum we have established.
        Training includes:
                4 "Tutor's Guide" tapes required before tutoring
                        (Role of tutor, First Session, Managing Group
                        Tutorials, and fourth selected by tutor)
                11 scheduled tutor training seminars Friday's 12:30-1:45pm,
                   which occur while they are tutoring.  Anyone unable to
                   attend in person must complete the individualized form
                   (which uses videotaped sessions but includes more
                   assignments since tutors must complete the active exercises)
                   (the LAC is closed from Noon-2pm every Friday)
                     Introductions to LAC Faculty liaisons and to tutor mentors
                     Functions and Services of LAC
                     Student Development Philosophy & "Change as a cycle"
                     Communication I, Active Listening & Responding
                     Communication II, Dealing with Confrontive Situations
                     Learning Styles I, Intro to 4MAT  (LTM & HMI inventories)
                     Learning Styles II, Applying 4MAT in a tutoring session
                     Study Skills I, Intro to Study Skills (SRSE II inventory)
                          (using a metacognitive approach to study skills)
                     Study Skills II, Integrating Study Skills in tutoring
                     Special Needs Students (including LD)
                     Student Diversity & Evaluation

        PVCC's Level II - optional, paid time
        25.75 hours of training & minimum of 100 hours of experience
        Training involves tutors changing their role to that of a mentor
           to the new tutors as they attend one session for returning tutors,
           and attend a specific five of the sessions again (see below).
           Their role has changed to  a reflective and evaluative role as to
           how the information can be applied.  They are given opprotunities to
           facilitate discussions, share experience and evaluate the content,
           format, and usefulness of the information.
        Their learning logs consist of responding to learning log comments of
           at least two of their new tutor peers' learning log comments
                   Introductions to LAC Faculty liaisons and to tutor mentors
                   Communication II, Dealing with Confrontive Situations
                   Learning Styles II, Applying 4MAT in a tutoring session
                   Study Skills II, Integrating Sy Skills in tutoring
                   Student Diversity & Evaluation

        PVCC's Level III - optional, paid time for meetings, volunteered time
                for project chosen
        A minimum of 30 hours of training, 20 hour minimum of project
                development, & a minimum of 300 hours of tutoring experience
        The tutors in Level III training selects an area in which they are
                interested in becoming a mentor and resource for their peers.
                They develop a project which requires a minimum of 20 hours of
                time to create.  Often it is coordination with LAC Liaison
                faculty or general college faculty.  Sample projects have been
                to develop study guides for Biology and Chemistry, develop a
                math anxiety seminar series for returning women, and to
                formalize the criteria, goals, and evaluation of a formal
                mentoring program for new tutors.
        Tutors in Level III training are required to "mentor" at least one new
                tutor, attend the returning tutor seminar, and the first and
                last of the new tutor sessions.