Hi Jacqui,

Saw your posting in LRNASST and thought you might be interested in what
we've set up for our develomental reading students for Fall '95.

We've created a "board" where students can post assignments, get
assignments, and correspond with their instructors or each other. We're
also hoping to get the students involved in on-line problem solving.
We'd also like to have on-line testing, but some faculty are still a
little nervous about it.

At present our net is only available to our students, although if we can
prove that it works then maybe the powers will allow outside access.
'Course there's nothing to stop us'n from communicating directly to you'n.

Here are some of the bug-a-boos we've had to deal with:

Basic computer operations - some folks just can't seem to get comfortable
with the machine.  What buttons to push, and when to push them is
intimidating for some; especially when they believe that "everyone" else
is already computer literate.  They're afraid to look foolish.  It helps
a little when I tell them of some of MY finest moments, but it's just
something they have to work through.

The jargon.  Us computer weenies speak a very strange language.  Oh how I
wish for a universal translator ala Star Trek.  We've eliminated a bunch
of the techy-speak, but sometimes it pops up.

The cumbersome process of logging on.  Windows and Mac icons help, as
does having the students navigate by following a list of menu choices.

The fear of Big Brother (or, to be fair Big Sister) watching over us.
Privacy of communication is a BIG issue, especially when rumors like,
"Well, you know the guys over at the computer lab  get into peoples
files to see what they've been doing." get started.  I know it's
possible, but I also know that the "guys" would be out on their behinds
and denetted if they did such things.

So, there you have a few of the things we've run accross.  As things
progress, I'll try to remember to zap you a note now and again.  I'd be
interested in how things go for you as well.

See you in the ether,
Ed.
"If confusion is a sign of mental activity, then I'm a flaming genius."