Recently the term "transitional studies" has been used to describe a variety of
programs -- skills courses for entering freshmen; rehabilitating students on
academic probation; training community college transfers for the academic rigors
of four year colleges, etc. Perhaps "transitional" will become the new euphemism
for "developmental/remedial education" which has become such an anathma to both
college administrators and politicians. Then if we have five or so years of
respite before becoming tarred again as remedial, perhaps our programs can truly
be assimilated into the academic culture and we won't need a disguise or a
different identity.

I'd be interested in learning  how many  programs in four-year colleges call
themselves "developmental" vs "learning assistance", "transitional" or some
other term.

Martha Maxwell