Martha:

Here at U. of Idaho we call our courses Freshmen Transition Seminars and
Freshmen Interest Groups.  The FTS's are tied to a CORE course and the
FIG's are a discipline-specific general discussion course taught by
faculty from the discipline who cross-train with me for learning strategy
information.  The term "developmental" is definitely anathma here; in
fact, at one time remedial courses at the college level were not
permitted for state schools unless students paid a fee and took them
for no credit.

I like your idea of those of us in this field discussing the possibility
of use of a new euphemism which will avoid the political headaches.

We also changed the name of our learning center from Learning Resource
Center to Tutoring and Academic Assistance Center for these same
reasons.  Hope this helps.

Frankie Yockey, Assistant Director
Tutoring and Academic Assistance Center, 1068
University of Idaho
Moscow, Idaho  83844
(208)885-6307