Gene:

You have probably seen my reply to Martha regarding this topic.  I think
the problems we experience may sometimes be a result of trying to find
one specific term to describe all that we do.  Perhaps we should just use
whatever descriptor best fits each service?  Our freshmen courses are
transitional as is our non-trad class.  Our learning center provides all
kinds of services from tutoring to test files to learning strategy
workshops and computer-based skills courses; thus, the name Tutoring and
Academic Assistance Center.  However, I think Martha is correct in her
perception that the terms developmental and remedial carry negative
connotaions for many people in higher ed.

Frankie Yockey, Assistant Director
Tutoring and Academic Assistance Center, 1068
University of Idaho
Moscow, Idaho  83844
(208)885-6307