Martha --

Mesa State College is a multi-mission state institution of higher
education.  Most of our students attend the liberal arts baccalaureate
college.  We are also designated as a community college, and operate an area
vocational school.   We are essentially a teaching college and have recently
been granted authority for selected graduate programs;  we begin classes for
our MBA program Fall '95.

Our sub-100 level courses, which are all taught by their discipline
department faculty, have no special designation in the catalogue.  Although
a few faculty refer to the courses as "developmental" among themselves,
the term is not used by many.  Faculty rotation is the modus operandi for
selection of faculty for sub-100 courses in the Math dept.  The English
dept. has a few faculty/scholars who PREFER to teach a few sections of
English 090 (writing) every semester along with courses at other levels.
It is the general belief that most English faculty, including the
dept. chair, enjoy the sub-100 English courses and attach significant
value to them; the valence is believed to be in the
developmental courses relationship to academic competency in upper division
English as well as courses in other disciplines.

Our Academic Services department includes, among other divisions,
academic peer tutoring and a variety of services to students with
disabilities.  We commonly refer to this category of service as
"learning assistance."

If you are compiling this information and drawing some conclusions, I
would be very interested in seeing the results.

Luck,

Pat Schutz, Director of Academic Services, Mesa State College