The following are questions we are currently wrestling with in our reading
program at Owens Community College.  We would appreciate hearing your answers
to the following:
        1.  Do any of you use 2 diagnostic tests?  To be specific, do
                you administer 2 different tests (DRP and Nelson-Denny,
                for example) with each group of entering students or
                allow instructors a choice of 2 tests?

        2.  If so, what are they?

        3.  Are instructors (full-time and adjunct) permitted a choice?

        4.  If so, how do you solve the equity issue (DRP units to grade
                level, for example)?

        5.  Do you give the same choice for exit tests?

        6.  Have you found a standardized test that is successful in
                your situation?

        7.  What exit-level criteria do you use for your (only or) upper
                level reading course?

        8.  If you have a two-tiered reading program, what tests and exit
                levels of those tests do you use for each course?

I have been observing discussion of reading tests on the listserve for a few
months now and have seen some pros and cons discussed, but am not aware of
the two-test issue.  If my questions fall into the realm of FAQs, I apologize.

We would appreciate your input.

Dorothy S. Bonser, Professor
Developmental Writing and Reading
Owens Community College