>I'd be interested in learning  how many  programs in four-year colleges call
>themselves "developmental" vs "learning assistance", "transitional" or some
>other term.

Although Martha Maxwell's question addressed terminology used at four-year
institutions, let me add a few labels from my community college.

Courses numbered below 100-level are called "college adaptor" classes. What
used to be the Learning Center is now the "Academic Achievement Center"
(and it takes me an extra cup of coffee every morning to be able to answer
the phone,"Academic Achievement Center; may I help you?" The AAC, tutoring,
and special needs programs are all in the Academic Achievement department,
a subgroup of Academic and Student Services. Our services, coupled with
adaptor courses, are loosely referred to as "developmental education," even
though we don't operate under a single organizational umbrella.

Is there a stigma attached to the DE label? I suppose so, but I'm afraid
we're kidding ourselves if we think that a label change will change the
attitudes of colleagues, legislators, or students. Let's be clear about
what we do and why we do it; but please, let's leave the inflated jargon to
colleagues in other departments.

Longing for the day when I can once again humbly call myself a "Learning
Center instructor," I remain

Sue Wickham
Academic Achievement Center (sigh)
Des Moines Area Community College
2001 S. Ankeny Boulevard   (NOTHING is short about this address)
Ankeny, IA 50021

[log in to unmask] (or this one)