>Is there a stigma attached to the DE label? I suppose so, but I'm afraid
>we're kidding ourselves if we think that a label change will change the
>attitudes of colleagues, legislators, or students. Let's be clear about
>what we do and why we do it; but please, let's leave the inflated jargon
>to colleagues in other departments.

>Longing for the day when I can once again humbly call myself a "Learning
>Center instructor," I remain

>Sue Wickham

I believe Sue and I are surfing the same philosophical dimension.  If there
is a stigma, that's somebody else's problem.  I personally am proud to be a
developmental educator, and I am proud of my field.  We spend too much time
trying to win the respect of people we don't respect, including those who
look down their noses on developmental education and developmental
educators.  Sue's right:  A label change will not change attitudes.

Gene Beckett