To M.M and others regarding the term "transitional studies":

        Our learning centers at Rutgers DO use "learning assistance"
because we provide access for all undergraduate students at the institution
to find their personal best and most efficient and effective modes of
learning.  We DO NOT use the term "developmental" because the programs at
Rutgers which serve a distinct population of students needing basic skills
work and "pre-college" assistance are known as "developmental programs".

        Any attempt at Rutgers to marry the terms developmental and
learning assistance or developmental with the Learning Resource Centers
will certainly lead to a significant decrease in the majority population of
traditional students which uses our centers.  We would no longer be able to
meet the mission which was identified by the President when he initiated
LRCs "to provide comprehensive academic assistance to all Rutgers
students."

        Karen

>Recently the term "transitional studies" has been used to describe a variety of
>programs -- skills courses for entering freshmen; rehabilitating students on
>academic probation; training community college transfers for the academic
>rigors
>of four year colleges, etc. Perhaps "transitional" will become the new
>euphemism
>for "developmental/remedial education" which has become such an anathma to both
>college administrators and politicians. Then if we have five or so years of
>respite before becoming tarred again as remedial, perhaps our programs can
>truly
>be assimilated into the academic culture and we won't need a disguise or a
>different identity.
>
>I'd be interested in learning  how many  programs in four-year colleges call
>themselves "developmental" vs "learning assistance", "transitional" or some
>other term.
>
>Martha Maxwell

Karen G. Smith, University Director
Learning Resource Centers