On Wed, 19 Apr 1995 [log in to unmask] wrote:
Sue Wickham wrote:

> Is there a stigma attached to the DE label? I suppose so, but I'm afraid
> we're kidding ourselves if we think that a label change will change the
> attitudes of colleagues, legislators, or students. Let's be clear about
> what we do and why we do it; but please, let's leave the inflated jargon to
> colleagues in other departments.

Sue:

While I empathize whole-heartedly with our common plight of longing to
call a spade a spade and be direct about what we do, the cold hard fact
remains that administrators (and sometimes faculty) tend to look askance
at many of the services that "learning centers" provide wanting instead
to put their money on the really bright students.  I think perhaps this
was what Martha Maxwell was getting at.  Thus, I am willing to use
whatever "high-fallutin'" jargon it takes to win them over in this
politically motivated arena until such time as they recognize our value
and progress and give us credibility.  Like it or not, we did find that
when we labeled our courses transitional and changed our center name to
the Tutoring and Academic Assistance Center (3 extra cups of coffee for that
one), it helped our cause.  I also long for the day when the main concern
is what we can do to give students every fighting chance to be successful
members of society and not what it takes to do that.

Frankie Yockey, Assistant Director
Tutoring & Academic Assistance Center (TAAC)
University of Idaho
Moscow, Idaho  83843
(208)885-6307