>>Is there a stigma attached to the DE label? I suppose so, but I'm afraid
>>we're kidding ourselves if we think that a label change will change the
>>attitudes of colleagues, legislators, or students. Let's be clear about
>>what we do and why we do it; but please, let's leave the inflated jargon
>>to colleagues in other departments.
>
>>Longing for the day when I can once again humbly call myself a "Learning
>>Center instructor," I remain
>
>>Sue Wickham
>
>I believe Sue and I are surfing the same philosophical dimension.  If there
>is a stigma, that's somebody else's problem.  I personally am proud to be a
>developmental educator, and I am proud of my field.  We spend too much time
>trying to win the respect of people we don't respect, including those who
>look down their noses on developmental education and developmental
>educators.  Sue's right:  A label change will not change attitudes.
>
>Gene Beckett

Gene:  I, too, am proud of what I do and I would not want to do anything
else on earth professionally.  However, we're kidding ourselves and doing
an enormous disservice to our programs and our students if we think we do
not need to earn respect from the academic community at-large.  Without
that respect and recognition our programs and services will never become
truly institutionalized and an integral part of the culture of the
institution.

Karen

Karen G. Smith, University Director
Learning Resource Centers