Georgine,
From my experience as a director of a Learning Center (not Learning Assistance
or Learning Resource) for just 5 years, your observations and summation of
experiences at Pitt is consistent with mine.  University of Nebraska at Omaha
is predominately an undergraduate university with about 20% of its enrollment
comprised of grad students.  By University of Nebraska Board of Regents
guidelines, no developmental/remedial courses are offered at any of the UN
campuses.  Therefore, learning centers accept the opportunity to provide
academic assistance to any currently enrolled student.  I am in the process of
assessing current programming decisions and exploring options for increasing
our responsiveness to first year students.

I would add one other set within the student population--in addition to student
athletes, writer's workshop,etc. Learning Center programs often assume
primary responsibility for providing academic support, as well as some accommo-
dations, for students with disabilities.  Thus, students and faculty sometimes
assume disability/reasonable accommodations problem solving as well as
developmental program options are subsumed in Learning Center functions.

Please do not assume I am complaining.  Again, I agree with others' statements:
Call me a person who provides learning assistance;  this center does not
 require that the student requesting assistance meet predetermined criteria.

I am learning much from the dialogue; I compare it to some of the more
energetic roundtable discussions I have attended.

Jan Leuenberger