>>Gene:  I, too, am proud of what I do and I would not want to do anything
>>else on earth professionally.  However, we're kidding ourselves and doing
>>an enormous disservice to our programs and our students if we think we do
>>not need to earn respect from the academic community at-large.  Without
>>that respect and recognition our programs and services will never become
>>truly institutionalized and an integral part of the culture of the
>>institution.
>
>>Karen
>
>Thanks, Karen, for your response.  I can't dispute the need to earn respect
>from the academic community at large.  However, a name, i.e., a euphemism
>for "developmental education," won't do the trick and earn respect.  You
>know, the old "You can't judge a book by its cover" thing.  Although I
>don't want to be viewed as inflexible, I do not take kindly to the idea of
>changing the cover of my book to please someone unable to see beyond it.
>In the end our actions--what we do--will speak louder than any words,
>including our name.  What we do earns the respect of our colleagues in
>other departments.  I am reminded of something from the Tao te Ching, an
>epitaph of sorts, that translates "When you are content to be yourself, and
>don't compare and compete, everybody will respect you."  I believe that.
>
>Interesting discussion.  I'm listening.  I'm hearing.  I'm thinking.
>
>Gene Beckett

Gene, sorry to interject again but your quote that translates "When you are
content to be yourself, and don't compare and compete, everybody will
respect you" causes me some consternation.  If any new directors of
programs out there read that quote and follow its directive, then I fear
they and their services will never be known, be used, be respected, be
funded, and be seen again next year!

We must toot our horns, toot them well, know which songs to toot when and
where, and then maybe we can sit back and listen to the music -- especially
after some of our charges have found their successes and can sing with us!

Karen

Karen G. Smith, University Director
Learning Resource Centers
Rutgers University