What is in a name?  Sometimes it may be best to opt out.  Several years
ago I taught math in a private college in Pennsylvania.  After a year of
discussion/debate the college decided on a set of distribution
requirements for graduation.  The debate then arose over the naming of
each of the sets of courses.  After much discussion, someone suggested I,
II, III, and IV.  What a concept!  It won immediate approval.

Here at Shoreline Community College (Seattle, WA), we do not use any
particular word.  Some courses begin with a 0 and others begin with a 1.
For the most part, courses beginning with a 0 are not transferable to a
4-year college but courses beginning with a 1 can be transferred.  If we
use any terminology (which is rare), we might say "transfer courses" and
"non-transfer" courses.  This is simply a statement of fact.

Margaret Rogers
MRogers.CTC.CTC.edu