Karen writes:

>We must toot our horns, toot them well, know which songs to toot when and
>where, and then maybe we can sit back and listen to the music --
>especially after some of our charges have found their successes and can
>sing with us!

We're getting philosophical here, I know.  I also know where you're coming
from, I think.  I've been there.  Done that.  However, there are those
people on my campus who are always tooting their horns, appearing in the
paper(s), talked about on the airwaves, publicized everywhere through
their own efforts, who are in fact "big jokes" on campus.  If you're good
(and I'm talking about your department, too), it will show.

When I become NADE President (something I didn't actively seek), I didn't
advertise the fact on campus.  I didn't have to.  The word got out, and is
still getting out, in a very natural, unforced, well-paced manner.  I don't
have to toot my horn.  My Provost and President do an excellent job of
that--without my help or interference.  Same goes for my/our
(award-winning) department.  Quality doesn't have to be advertised.  It
self-manifests.  For me, the praise that comes unsolicited is the very best
kind.

Another quote:  Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.

Interesting discussion.  Thanks.

Gene

a realist, who knows being president of anything means you do a lot of work
for free and who thrives on this