I've responded to a few people personally and directly.  However, my
curiosity causes me to seek a broader audience.

My quest has been to develop a definition and set of goals that describe
what we all do, regardless of the name we currently use to describe our
departments, programs, and services.  I would appreciate feedback regarding
any part of the definition and goals copied below that don't describe what
you do.  Also, if there is something you do that isn't covered, I'd like to
know that too.

I appreciate the resource you all represent.

Thanks in advance.

Gene Beckett

----------

What is our field?

Our field is a sub-field of higher education having a theoretical base in
developmental psychology.  It promotes the cognitive and affective growth
of all adult learners, at all levels of the learning continuum.
Our field is especially sensitive to the individual differences and special
needs of each adult learner.  Our programs and services are structured and
commonly include courses, tutoring, learning laboratories, diagnostic
assessment and placement, and academic advising and personal counseling.

What are our goals?

1.  to preserve and make possible educational opportunity for each adult
learner (learner)

2.  to develop in each adult learner the skills and attitudes necessary for
the attainment of academic, career, and life goals (learner)

3.  to ensure proper placement and thus academic success by assessing each
adult learner's level of preparedness for college course work (learner)

4.  to assist all faculty with the learning needs of their students
(faculty)

5.  to maintain academic standards by enabling learners to acquire
competencies needed for success in mainstream college courses (faculty)

6.  to enhance the retention of students (institution)

7.  to provide work force development programs and services to the
community at large (community)

8.  to promote the continued development of cognitive and affective
learning theory (the field)