I normally try to stay out of discussions, but I found here what I consider
a capital difference between developmental education and "learning
assistance."  I paraphrase the crucial argument below:

[Althoguh] no developmental/remedial courses are offered at any of the UN
campuses, Learning Center programs often assume primary responsibility for
providing academic support, as well as some accommodations, for students
with disabilities.
                                                         Jan Leuenberger

I read Gene's brilliant description of Developmental Ed as the
"in ramp to Higher Education".  Along the same lines, leraning assistance
could be the "highway map" to college success.   Dev Ed and LA complement
each other but may have different goals and foundations, as academic support
need not be developmental in nature.

--
Guillermo Uribe, Ph.D.
Coordinator, Systems Support.