------------
Insight from <[log in to unmask]>   -Carl
------------

In Mexico, the most "prestigious" institution is the
Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey.
It is a consistent practice at this institution that
students, each year, will organize and conduct a conference.
The conference typically involves speakers from all over the
world.  The students are given suggestions as to possible
speakers and topics, but all choices and decisions are made
by the students.  They start organizing the activity at
least six months before it is to take place.  When the
conference is held, the students meet the speakers at the
airport, take them to the hotels, orient them to the local
scence, etc.  During the conference the students introduce
the speakers and question them after they speak.  They also
corral the speakers individually and raise all kinds of
questions.  Everyone I know who has been a speaker at one of
these events has been delighted with what goes on, and with
the extent of the student experience.  Not only does it
develop knowledge, but perhaps more importantly, it develops
breadth, personal confidence, maturity, etc.

Unfortunately I don't know of any speaker who has ever
transported this model to his own institution.  This may say
more about the institutions than about the speakers.

JOHN WARFIELD