------------
Insight from <[log in to unmask]>   -Carl
------------

One of the ways we have begun to incorporate student
perspectives and insights into our ongoing planning/
visioning at Austin Community College is through a series of
Future Search Conferences which we have conducted this
semester. The Future Search Conference model we have been
using is that of Marvin Weisbord and Sandra Janoff and at
five of the six conferences we are holding we have included
a "stakeholder" table of students. Their involvement and
information have greatly improved the quality of the
visioning which has occured, particularly since the
institution exists primarily to serve the needs of the
students.

The use of a structured, well-proven process for coming to
broad consensus on preferred future scenarios has allowed us
to move more rapidly than before toward the strategic
planning goals that all stakeholders in the
institution--internal and external-- can support.

Our goal is to become a learning organization as well as a
"teaching" organization, and that means in some very real
ways we are all becoming students again!

Tobin Quereau <[log in to unmask]>
Austin Community College
Austin, TX 78752