I am on a committee that is writing a grant to assist our ESL Students to
improve their English.

We would like to include an ESL Software component in the grant.  It has
been suggested we get a site license  and install it in the dorms and
computer labs on campus.  Thus the program should be easy to use
without intensive instruction on how to use it.  I would like to hear from
people who have used this type of program and your opinion on the
usefulness of the software.  Also, I would like information on how to
contact  the company.

Another component we discussed was to form conversation groups to
help the students.  Does anyone have any suggestions or comments
about this?  It was mentioned to form a bulletin board (thru the Internet)
for students to join.  Is there one in existence already?

We also discussed designing a workshop to train tutors (in the SSS
Program, the Writing Center, and Math Center) and faculty members in
working with ESL students.  Any suggestions on specific topics or
possible speakers would be appreciated.

Rose Rude
Academic Support Office
Tutor Coordinator