Starting this fall, we at Eastern Wyoming College will be
offering applied technical and reading courses for students
demonstrating low skill levels on the ASSET and/or Nelson-Denny
Reading Test.  We plan to utilize a paired teaching technique with
vocational instructors so that students are studying the same type
math, reading, vocabulary and spelling problems in the courses as are
being introduced in their vocational programs.  We will include
a one hour lab each week.  The vocational programs involved include
welding, business office studies, air conditioning/refrigeration,
transportation diesel, and cosmetology. The reading classes will
address study skills and basic reading strategies - with an
emphasis on reading charts, graphs, and diagrams. Students
will then apply those strategies to the manuals and textbooks being
used in their vocational classes.  The math classes will stress
application of arithmetic skills in vocational areas.  Is anyone
teaching a similar course and if so, what materials - textbooks,
manuals, or reasonably priced software have you used or found to be
helpful? Do you have suggestions for applied arithmetic labs?  I look
forward to hearing from anyone with ideas and experiences to share.

Sue Engbretson
Learning Skills Lab Coordinator