GREETINGS FROM UTAH VALLEY STATE COLLEGE--THIS ONE'S COMPLETE!!!!!!!
I sent 2 (yes two!) premature transmissions on this topic.(Poked the
F9 key accidentally - - TWICE!)
Your suggestions for ice breakers were excellent.  Building community
in our classrooms is very worhwhile.  I'm answering your request for
sources of more ideas.  There are three books by Edward Scannell and
John Newstrom published by McGraw-Hill called Games Trainers Play,
Experiential Learning Exercises; More Games Trainers Play,
Experiential Learning Exercises; and Still More Games Trainers Play,
Experiential Learning Exercises.  ISBN's are as follows:
0-07046408-1,  0-07-055045-X,  and  0-07-046427-8. These books are
good sources of ideas for ice breakers as well as other activities to
facilitate student involvement.  There are many others.  Wanting to
move away from lecture, I have looked for teaching strategies that
would engage my students, requiring their involvement with the
content and with each other.

Two sources have emerged that have excited me.  One is the entire
College Survival organization based in Rapid City, South Dakota.
Their textbook Becoming a Master Student is used on our campus as the
text for our Study Skills classes, and the Course Manual for Becoming
a Master Student is a good resource.  They offer seminars, workshops,
and other services as well.  For info. call 1-800-528-8323

The other source that I find valuable is the COOPERATIVE LEARNING and
College Teaching Newsletter.  You can phone New Forums Press, Inc. at
405-277-2237 to subscribe.  It is rich with ideas and also
facilitates networking.

There are quite a few other books I find valuable for experiential,
cooperative, and collaborative learning.  I'm hesitant to list them
here because of time and space constraints, but I'd be glad to fax
you a list, Ted Panitz.  If there are enough people who would like
the list, I'd be happy to take the time to type it up and send it on
the internet.  However, a fax would be more efficient if demand is
limited.  Just let me know your fax number if you'd like the list.

Thank you for your patience with my faulty transmissions.
PEGGY PASIN