    I have had some success with adapting Whimbey and Lochhead's
    Problem Solving to a paired supplimental course.  I started with
    the problems and the approach used in the text.  Then had used the
    material from the companion course for additional "problems" we
    discussed text assignments as a "problem" , different materials
    and courses requiring different solutions (comprehension, fact
    memory, vocabulary, skill modeling, etc.)  We then adapted the
    paired problem solving approach for text decoding, comprehension,
    etc. based on how the assingment was defined in problem solving
    terms.

    The focus was on higher-order comprehension skills and developing
    repetoire of reading strategies based on purpose.   Students did
    increase their dialogue with the text and developed comprehension
    checking skills.