Sandy Drewes recently asked for feedback on how learning centers
(specifically tutoring centers) get people through the doors to use their
services.  I'm sure she'll be getting many good "advertising" suggestions
from the listers.

I wanted to let you know of one service we provide which brings students
in and makes them aware of all of our services at our learning center,
including tutoring.  We developed a "legal" test file.  We canvass all
profs at the beginning of each semester with a simple memo-type form and
request permission to carry their tests in our test file.  They can say
no and we keep their response memo in file so we can let students know
that they don't want their tests on file.  Even if they say no, we keep
asking so that they can always have the opportunity to change their
minds.  Some profs are so well-trained that now they just bring in their
tests each semester automatically or send them through campus mail.  We
make copies of the tests for ten cents per page.  This is a great way to
get all students to visit the center.

Frankie Yockey, Assistant Director
Tutoring and Academic Assistance Center, 1068
University of Idaho
Moscow, Idaho  83844
(208)885-6307